dog careThe definition of a poison is any substance that is harmful to the animal’s body. There are a wide range of potentially poisonous substances for your dog. One of the most common poisons are animal baits which are effective palatable poisons the encourage animals to eat or ingest these chemicals.

Dogs are naturally curious and they have an inclination to hunt anything that is quite smaller or even explore places which they should not be in the first place. Examples of these places are weed thickets, woodpiles, storage places or any other places that invite their curiosity. This, in effect, puts them into contact with different animals and substances that might be essentially poisonous. Examples of this may be dead animals, poisonous insects and plants. There is a great variety of potentially poisonous substances that your dog can come into contact with.

It is important that you are able to identify those  flora that grows around your home or your dog’s home so that you will be able to administer first aid whenever the dog accidentally becomes too curious for her own good. The variety of poisonous plants alone poses a threat that is very difficult to address if the type of plant that the dog came into contact with is not immediately identified.

In some types of vegetation, only a small part of the plants are toxic while in some plants all parts of the plants are poisonous. Because of this, ingestion of these types of poisonous plants will present a myriad of symptoms for the animal. This could include irritation of the mouth, drooling, hallucination, diarrhea, vomiting, coma and in unfortunate cases, death. With this as a problem, the owner of the dog should be able to administer first aid which will vary from poison to poison and plant to plant.

Whatever plant your dog has eaten, it should be important that you immediately rush your pet to the nearest veterinarian in order to administer first aid to your dog. However, it would also be helpful to know the different first aid procedures that pet owners should employ should their dog ingest something that is poisonous.

Because of the diversity of the known poisonous substances to dogs, it would be prudent of dog owners to learn more about the first aid that addresses poisoning. It would be a great idea if you schedule an appointment with your veterinarian in order to get enough information regarding information on how to administer first aid in the event of poisoning. Also, getting a book regarding dog health and first aid would be a very good idea so you will be able to acquaint yourself with the different threats that your dog might encounter.

Finally, it would be good to ensure that you poison-proof your entire house or apartment as much as you can. It would be a good thing if you would call a family meeting and orient each and everyone who is a member of your family to know about what potential dangers your dog can run or in his case, "eat into".